The Wickford Harbor Light, which sat 200 yards offshore at the entrance to Wickford Harbor, was built in 1882 to replace the lighthouse on Poplar Point. From 1882 until 1930, the Wickford Harbor Lighthouse welcomed commercial and pleasure vessels alike into Wickford Harbor. Attached to the lighthouse itself was an eight-room house which served as home to three light keeper families.
The North Kingstown Arts Council commissioned Wickford-based ship modeler Dominic Zachorne to construct a scale model of the Wickford Harbor Lighthouse so that future generations may better appreciate the maritime history of the North Kingstown area. Mr. Zachorne conducted painstaking research for this project, including extensive visits with local residents who lived in the Lighthouse or in some way shared its history. Using these interviews along with photos and sketches provided to him, Zachorne handcrafted an intricate replica of the Wickford Harbor Lighthouse right down to twisting the lines used for hanging the life rings. This model is now on display at the Wickford Cove Framing Gallery.
currently on display at:
© 2008-2010 North Kingstown Arts Council
Website created and maintained by MLB Graphic Design
The members of the North Kingstown Arts Council gratefully recognize the contributions of the following individuals and companies who donated $500 or more in order to Bring Back the Lighthouse:
David and Petra Laurie
Margaret McCormick (In Memory of Captain Isaac Emerson)
Mike's Auto Body
New Boston Development
Rhode Island Automobile Dealers' Association
Tarbox Big Lot
Tarbox Motors, Inc.
Wickford Yacht Club
The North Kingstown Arts Council is also very appreciative of the countless donations of under $500 made by individuals and companies over the course of the past several years. The total sum of all of these gifts made the completion of this project possible.
In addition, we would like to thank all those in the community who have so generously given of time and resources in order to bring this project to fruition.